Thursday, April 14, 2016

In the Blink of an Eye

Tuesday started out as a wonderful day.  I have been out of town on vacation with Suz, Reid, Alayna and Eli for Spring Break.  We were in Destin, Florida and had such a great time.  I will blog about it later, because there were so many fun memories and laughs and I don't want to forget a single one.

Since I had been gone and was missing my sweet Grant, I offered to sit with him awhile for Alicia to have some time to get work done, or housework or just whatever she wanted to do.  

He is the biggest ray of sunlight for us.  For my whole family.  I took him to see my parents, who were delighted to see him.  He slept most of the time, but that was okay.  They love to watch him sleep, too.

My mom had started having headaches on Monday and she had a lot of swelling around he eyes.  In fact, when she woke up Tuesday morning, she said one of her eyes was swollen shut.  She had a doctor's appointment with her primary care doctor at 4:20 that afternoon.

While I was babysitting Grant, at about 3:30, Jeff called me.  He was broken down at Wesley Chapel Road.  Which if you live around this area, you know that's pretty much one of the worst places to break down.  Put it this way, in my opinion, it's one of the armpits of metro Atlanta.  Without a doubt.

Cam picked him up and Jeff had the car towed to our mechanic.  Turns out the alternator is gone out and must be replaced, along with a new battery.  And  Jeff must have  cracked a rib or something trying to get some things out of the car.  He was being hasty and not really thinking about what he was doing.  I think he was just trying to figure out how to stay safe in a non-safe area.

So he gets home and Grant goes home and I'm just working in my office a little and my mom calls.  Her PCP wants her to go straight to the hospital and have an in-depth CAT scan of her head.  So I stop what I'm doing, meet her at her house and to Piedmont Henry Hospital we go.  Every time I go there, I swear I'll never go again.  This time I really swear I'll never go there again.  We waited in that ER waiting room for well over six hours.  When we were finally taken back to an ER patient room, we spent the rest of the night there.  We were at that hospital for 13 hours.

Crystal texted the manager of the office she works at 6:00 a.m. to let her know she wouldn't be at work.  Within 30 minutes, the manager's husband, who works for Henry County Sherriff's Department, brought us steaming hot coffee, biscuits and hashbrowns.  You don't realize that people care about you until you're in a time of trial.  Then you realize you have lots more friends than you ever thought you had.

I went to the Kroger pharmacy to pick up her antibiotic.  I was there when they opened the window at 8:00 a.m.  Got it filled, dropped mom off at her house.  Explained what was going on as best I could to my dad, who was totally busy with getting a new roof on their house.

After I got home, I got my job that I had for later in the day covered, took a shower with some of the best smelling soap I've ever used (thanks to Kimberly Liscio, Alicia's mom), washed my hair and conditioned it, but didn't brush the tangles out.  Took a four hour nap and this is what my hair looked like after my nap.  Whoa, the frizz.

So my mom has some sort of cyst or tumor or cellulitis on her forehead that has eaten away the bone of her skull.  We don't know why.  We don't know what it is.  We don't know if it's cancer or not.  (Although, I'm not claiming any part of cancer.  Nope, no part of it!)  So we go today to an ENT to find out what his thoughts are and what we are to do from there.  I'm trying to be positive.  I'm trying to keep calm and trust God.  Most of the time I'm doing good.  Then others, the devil creeps up on me and puts fear in my mind.  It's a struggle.

My mom is the rock and the strength of our family.  I've never ever known anybody stronger than she is.  I'm so thankful to God for her.  She took us three girls to church, where we were all saved.  She made our clothes.  She cooked every single meal.  Lord knows, she's nursed and taken care of my daddy.  And everyone, especially and including him, knows that without her he'd have been dead long ago.

She left her family and home in South Georgia to move to Atlanta to find an exciting new life.  Away from the small town that she had grown up in.  She was the only girl of the family and was her daddy's June Bug.  She did all this at the age of 18.

I could write a book on my mom and the love she has for her family.  Right now, all I want is for the Lord to heal her.  Whatever is causing her problems in her body, I pray He will heal her.  I trust He will heal her and I'm already thanking him for his healing.

Till next time...


Theresa said...

Oh dear Kelly! I go to bed praying and wake up praying! I love your Mama SO much and thank God for her being in our lives! I also am claiming "HEALING" and good health! What about Grant, isn't he just too precious for words:) He is growing and just cuter and cuter! Have a blessed day my precious Niece! Please let me know if I can do anything for any of you! Love you ALL!

shortybear said...

praying for your dear mom. and for you