Thursday, December 16, 2010

Lifesaver Storybook

Around here tomorrow is the last day of school before the Christmas holidays begin. I've been reminiscing tonight about what that last day was like when I was a little girl.

We always had big class parties. We had a room mom who would bring refreshments for us. I don't remember making very many Christmas ornaments or crafts, but there is one craft in particular that I made that my mom and dad still have. I don't even remember making it really. It was a baby food jar, filled with water -- I guess it was water, but it's still crystal
clear -- and it had plastic holly inside. I always loved it when she brought out that jar.

I also remember these.


My friends and I would exchange gifts. I'm sure you know how that goes. Some girls would start telling you in November that they were going to give you a gift, so naturally, you would make sure to get them something. Sometimes they gave you something; sometimes not. But that didn't matter. My mom always bought several of those Lifesaver books for me to give my friends. And usually a friend gave me a Lifesaver book, too.

Sometimes we would leave our house after school and head to south Georgia to celebrate Christmas with my grandparents and my uncles in Twin City. It was a three-hour drive and I can remember sitting in the backseat of the car with my sisters looking at the wonderful little gifts we had gotten at school that day. The thing I remember the most is those Lifesaver books. And the occasional LipSmacker.

Santa brings my boys a Lifesaver book each and every year. I don't know if they like them or not, but nevertheless, they get one. Sometimes I curse Santa for bringing them because the silver wrappers are everywhere, but Santa knows what he's doing. He knows that one day my boys may remember, with the same fond memory as I, the Lifesaver Sweet Storybook.

Till next time. Be a blessing to someone this holiday season. You don't have to look far to find someone who needs one. Maybe you can share a Lifesaver Storybook.

5 comments:

Theresa said...

How sweet! I love those and Santa always left one for Tracy... ALWAYS! Tradition just warms my heart:) We are busy with the kid's Christmas parties and plays! It is a busy time but so much fun! Love you bunches, hugs!

Joyce said...

I loved those lifesaver books too! My kids loved them too. I love sitting back with my memories. Enjoy your weekend coming up! xoxo

Cindy Lou said...

I love those and I bet your boys do too!! I love having traditions and keep them going no matter how grown our kids may get!! :)

Enjoy your day...Love you bunches!

suzanne said...

Yep, I love those things, too. And times never change; Alayna came home telling me all these girls were getting her gifts, so I'm at walmart at 10:00 last night getting earrings, makeup and bubblegum. And it's funny, I was so tired, but I did it any way because I remember when I wanted those same gifts for my friends!
Love you :0)

billypandnikkysmom said...

Oh I used to love getting those lifesaver books. Your post brought back so many memories! Glad you are enjoying the Holiday Season!!