Friday, August 20, 2010

Happy Birthday, Suz

There can be no situation in life in which the conversation of my dear sister will not administer some comfort to me.
~Mary Worley Montagu~


Today my little sister turns 37. It really doesn't seem possible to me. I mean, it seems like only yesterday that Crystal and I were on the merry-go-round at my Aunt Barbo's house when she came out to tell us that we had a new sister, Suzanne Layne.

Big sisters are the crab grass in the lawn of life.
~Charles M. Schulz ~

She was not a very good baby, but I don't remember that. I was almost eight years old when she was born, and to me, she was a perfect little doll. I held her and fed her and I think in a way, maybe mommied her a little, too.

Never let an angry sister brush your hair.
~ Author: unknown ~

She loved frilly dresses and clinking shoes. She wanted to be a gymnast, a cheerleader, and a softball player.

It's a fine thing when sisters love each other.
~Lorna Landvik ~

I used to do Crystal's makeup before school every morning. Then she ended up doing Suz's makeup before school every morning.

The mildest, drowsiest sister has been known to turn tiger if her sibling is in trouble.
~Clara Ortega~

Pity the one who upset her. Be it a friend or a boyfriend. Crystal and I were definitely protective of our baby sis. We defended her with the ferociousness of a tiger many a time. In fact, we have some hilarious memories defending her against some of her fellow catty high school cheerleaders. Remember the time we cleaned out my refrigerator and put the leftover food in someone's mailbox? Of course, this was only after they had done something to her mailbox.

What's the good of news if you haven't a sister to share it?
~Author unknown~

She can tell in the first half second of hearing my voice if there is something wrong with me. And I do the same with her. When something good or bad happens to me, I want to talk to my sister.

Hell hath no fury like sisters in a bad mood.
~A Girl Named Kelly Kelly~

We fuss. We argue. We cut each other short. We put each other off. We take out our frustrations with the world around us on each other. The best part about all of that, though, is that we understand that that's what we do. And it's okay. No apologies necessary. We're each the one person that we can do those kinds of things to and it's perfectly understood. This includes Crystal. We understand each other. Three sisters.

So I didn't plan for this post to be about sisters, but about my sister's birthday. The sister I love so much and I don't know what I'd do without her. I look forward to growing old with my sister. Watching her kids grow up. Her seeing mine. Having wedding showers and baby showers for each other's kids. Sharing the woes of marital bliss, the gripes about work, and any and everything in between.

As I used to sing to you when you were a baby, I love my Suza!

Happy birthday, my dear sis! I love you more than you'll ever know. Well, that's not exactly true because I know you do know 'cause you love me that much too! I hope you have a wonderful day filled with cool temps, hot coffee, good hair, the perfect outfit, comfortable shoes, the creamiest chocolate, happy kids, and lots of lovin' from your hubby!

A sister is a forever friend.
~Jenny DeVries~


Suzanne Layne
November 2009

7 comments:

Cindy Lou said...

Oh what a wonderful post!! I love each of my sisters and can't imagine life without any of them! I know that you and yours are just as close!! I hope that Suz has the most wonderful birthday...I love her! Enjoy your day...Love you bunches!!

Tracy said...

Happy Birthday, Suz! What a super sweet post! I know she will love it! I had tears reading the sweetness!

Theresa said...

OH how I love Sisters, well and Brothers too! I enjoyed all of the quotes, especially the Kelly Kelly one! I am so happy that you all are close, there is nothing like it!

I hope Suzanne has the Happiest Birthday EVER! Love you all!

Joyce said...

You are awesome. Do you need a 4th sister... kind of an old sister? That was such an awesome post! I got teary eyed!
Happy birthday, Suzanne!!! May you have the best bday ever! xoxo

billypandnikkysmom said...

Oh what a tribute to both of your sisters! Happy Happy Birthday Suz, many more!

suzanne said...

Thank u for the sweet post... You know I luv u to pieces and wish I couldve spent my bday with you.
Ugh .... Can I get gifts and cake and not get older?
Lylasam!!!

Casey and Jamie Wood said...

Love the quotes!