Friday, November 20, 2009

Can You Smell That Smell

Cam says I have a nose like a coon dog. It's true. I really do. I smell everything. It's probably my strongest sense. Smells take me to all different places in my life all the time. Sometimes it's good; sometimes not.

A female with an unreal sense of smell living in a house with two hunters and a husband who coaches youth football isn't always a great thing. You never know what you might encounter at any given time.

For example. Last night -- all night -- I kept smelling this very strong, very bad odor. It smelled like electrical wires burning or plastic burning or something like that. At that time no one was here except for Cam and me. He swore he couldn't smell anything. Nothing new there. That's when he made the comment that I have a nose like a coon dog. I was sniffing everywhere trying to determine where that smell was coming from. It was awful. I'm not exaggerating either. It was bad. It seemed to be in the air and not coming from any particular place. So I'm sniffing around trying to find the source of the stink. Later when Ross came home, he smelled it too. He thought it was plastic burning. So I'm still looking for it when I came across this.

Friends, this is the paperwork from a package of Doe Estrus Wafers. If you're like me and have no idea what they are, here's what I found out: "They contain urine collected from one single doe during estrus cycle. Lure is blended with highly attractive musk." All I can say is thank goodness I'm not a boy deer or a hunter. That smell was H-O-R-R-I-B-L-E. And Cam had those wafers laying around like they were Glade air fresheners. If you get mad at your hubby and want to be really cruel, put some of these under his pillow. Who knows, though, since they attract boy deers, they just might attract men, too!

I had lunch with Ethan today.

I took the turkey cookies and let him pass them out to his classmates.

He had told his teacher I was coming and bringing cookies, so I think he was excited to have me there. He's such an affectionate boy. He just hugged me when I got there and put his arm around me when we were walking out of the lunchroom. Sweet. Sweet. Sweet.

Of course, there was, as there always is, the typical annoying kid. You know the one. The one who won't shut up. The one who won't let you visit with the kid you're there to see. The one who wants to show you all the gross things they can do with their eyes. The one who begs you for an extra cookie when you don't have enough to go around. Yeah, you know the one.

And it took me on a nostalgic trip down Memory Lane. Both Ross and Cam went to elementary school at the same school Ethan goes to. I bumped into Ross's third grade teacher. She recognized me and said hello. She wanted me to tell Ross hi for her. Wow. It's really strange because the teachers that were there when my boys were there are obviously getting older and there were some teachers there that looked young enough to be my kid! OMGosh, I hate getting old. I wish that time would slow down a bit. Life's going by way too fast for me right now.

I saw Cam's kindergarten classroom. The image of him standing in that room on his first day of kindergarten telling his teacher that he "bringded" his lunch is forever burned in my memory. I left the school with a big lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.

Left there and went to Lowe's and Home Depot looking for more paint. I don't understand those two stores. Each one of them had only one person working in the paint department. There was a long line in both stores. You know how long it takes to mix paint. What's the deal? Why don't they hire some more people? I mean, it couldn't be all that hard to do. God is teaching me patience in the strangest ways. Geez. I wish He would hurry up. I'm getting impatient while waiting on my patience.

Hope everyone has a great Friday evening. Not sure what we'll be doing. Jeff's team is playing in the Super Bowl tomorrow at noon. I'll have some pictures of my sweetie doing what he loves to do almost more than anything.

Till tomorrow.

9 comments:

billypandnikkysmom said...

Sweet post & yes...all too familiar with the annoying kid, LOL! I'm glad the cookies were a hit! Have a great night!

suzanne said...

Funny! Ethan is such a lover not a fighter. I'd put my nose up to yours any day. I fry bacon and I smell it in my house all week. I smell my basement when I walk in the door. I can smell dirty clothes in a room. I can tell what people had for supper the night before when I walk in. I told Jason, if I smell it, it's there! He can't smell crap, figurately or literally. Luv u and sweet, sweet post! Memories :0)

Theresa said...

I have a pretty good sniffer too! Isn't it funny the things we smell:) I think Ethan is so handsome and I know he was proud to have you there with those precious cookies. He looked very happy. He is such a sweet boy and always gives me a hug. Good luck at the football field tomorrow. We have tournaments, excited about that. Love you all and the deer stink isn't something I want to smell:)

Cindy Lou said...

Such a sweet post...well except the smelly something in the house!! I can't stand smell! I smell of everything before I wear it,smell it when I touch it, and even before I eat it...and if it doesn't smell right well needless to say I won't wear it, touch it or even eat it!! I would die if my boys left something like that around!! Ethan looked very proud to have you there! It always warms your heart to put a smile on a childs face!! Have a great evening!!! Love you lots!!!

Tracy said...

You are such a great Aunt. I hope they know how good they have it because not all Aunts are that way! They are in our family so it must be a Howell thing! I know that annoying kid and I always threaten my kids, using that one as an example, not to ever act that way. I laughed so hard at the smell and guessed since Cam did not smell it, it must have had something to do with him. He was used to the smell. Too funny. Have a great Sunday!

wendy said...

Very cute cookies from post below.

I am afraid if that deer urine stuff was in my house, it might work like an aphrodiziac (sp) since my hubby is a hunter.

fun to go back and visit the school our kids went to. ALL 5 of my kids had the same grade 6 teacher. she will be retiring after this year. Amazing.

Katie said...

Kelly ~ Those are the cutest cookies I have ever seen! I am laughing at that "typical annoying kid." Funny.

Nana said...

Oh the urine thing or whatever that was is hilarious!! I have some Cougar urine in my closet. I hope the jar doesn't break. I think I will move it. It keeps the deer out of my backyard.

Now my yard is full of Cougars. (my dads pathetic joke)

You can thank your migraines for your great sense of smell. Yes, that is true. For some reason people who suffer from migraines can smell anything.

Missy said...

I will be glad when deer season is over! Who thinks of this deer stuff?