Friday, November 13, 2009

Life from the Dentist Chair

So I went back to the dentist today. For the second day this week. To spend another three hours. And no, in case you're wondering, like my Auntie Theresa, I'm not having an affair with my dentist. Even if I wasn't happily married and even if he wasn't hopefully happily married and EVEN if he was Ryan Gosling from The Notebook, I'd have to pass on that one.
After all I've been through, I just couldn't be married to a dentist. Yeah, you're right. If all of the above were true, and he looked like Ryan Gosling, I'd forget about him being a dentist.

But I am so happy to say that I think I have turned the curve. I am FINALLY feeling more like my old self. Not that that was all that great, but hey, it's me and I'll gladly take it.

One can find the strangest things to do while waiting an extremely long time for the dentist to come in.
The room I was in today was what they call "The Florida Room." It looks out of these ginormous windows. It was a beautiful, warm, sunny day. "The Florida Room" was a perfect place to be if you had to be at the dentist at all. I felt like a lizard tanning on a rock.


My dentist office plays CNN constantly on TVs in every room. The waiting room included. After this experience, I am pretty caught up on all current affairs.

For example, did y'all hear about the little girl who had a cold a couple of weeks ago and now she can't stop sneezing? She sneezes about 12,000 times a day. Can you imagine? She's perfectly healthy otherwise and the sneezes don't hurt or anything. She's a quiet sneezer too. Not the loud, lung clearing, earth shattering sneeze you hear some people do. Hers is a quite little achoo.

And did you know that NASA has reported that there is water on the moon? Interesting. Balloon boy's parents pled guilty today.

There were so many other headlines and news breaks that were sad and a few that made me disgusted and mad. I really don't know how they stand to listen to that all day.

While I was waiting I was listening to my iPod. Martina McBride's song, I Have Been Blessed came on. What a beautiful song. I think that sometimes I take for granted so many things. Most of all I take for granted feeling good. Do you? I am a horribly impatient patient. I don't suffer well.

From this experience I have learned that if I want to take a day or two -- or seven -- to just lie around and do nothing, I don't have to be sick to do that. Whoever said you have to be sick or in pain to rest was nuts. And probably extremely ridden with OCD. Rest is one of life's pleasures. You can't enjoy it if you're not feeling well, so take time and enjoy it when you can.

I was feeling so guilty that, since work's been slow the last two weeks, I didn't spend my days doing something productive. But then I realized I should be thankful that I wasn't having to turn away good work because I was sick. Another lesson learned. Enjoy the moment. Next week looks to be very busy. And I will try to enjoy that moment too.

Most of all, I've learned that my life is good. It's so, so, so good. Even the everyday little things are good. If you can drive to see a play, be thankful. If you can eat chips and salsa, be thankful. If you can make it through the day without taking a pain medicine, be grateful. And I am.

So I will close by saying, till next time, LIVE, LOVE and LAUGH!

10 comments:

Theresa said...

Yes, I am still up:) way past my bedtime. It is great news that you are finally getting to feeling better. I don't like to feel bad either. I am thankful for every minute, except when my nose is clogged up like a bad drain:) We are so fortunate to have each other, healthy each others too! Love you and enjoyed spending time with you tonight! Have a wonderful weekend.

billypandnikkysmom said...

CNN ~ 24 hour news cycle...we know way tooooo much now a-days! that's why we're all in a constant state of fear, LOL!!!! An affair with the dentist...HEHEHEHE To funny. I'm sorry you had to go back again, I do hope you're feeling better, just think when you're all funished up with the dentist you're smile will be bigger & brighter. Have a wonderful day! God Bless!!

suzanne said...

Just think how smart you would be if you watched CNN all the time. In the dentist's office? Really??? EHKK!
Stay on the mend and love you bunches!

Tracy said...

That was a great post! It was one that really makes you think. Thanks for that!! We are all pretty fortunate that we only have minor ailments, and do not sneeze 12000 times a day! Poor kid! I think the news is depressing and rarely watch it. Sounds like you are on the road to recovery. It is nice to see that. Have a wonderful weekend. Go dogs!!!

Joyce said...

Papa sneezes like that. I tell him to try to warn me cuz he scares the life out of me!!!! I think they should turn their TV's to home and family channels that have cooking shows, remodeling shows... things that aren't so depressing like CNN. No wonder dentists have the highest suicide rate among professionals! Hope you continue to feel better! xoxoxo

Jill said...

The last time I sat in a dentist chair they were drilling into my jaw bone and even if there was a nuclear war about to hit I couldn't have paid attention to it.

I need the dentist right now actually. I am in so much pain it hurt to read this. LOL!

wendy said...

I am glad you cleared up the whole "affair" thing, cause really, how many times can a person go visit the dentist without us getting ---suspicious.

I love that photo of you. It was a look of --HOW THE HELL LONG DO YOU PLAN ON KEEPING ME IN THIS WAITING ROOM.

good to have blessings and be reminded of them

do the bulldogs play today??

Missy said...

You are such a hoot! LOL

Nana said...

So glad you are feeling better! I hate hate hate going to the dentist. I have a great dentist. I still hate going. ACK!! Even the thought of it.

I am glad you liked the Pecan Sandies I am addicted.

Elizabeth Cull said...

I think there's a nice experience out of this: sitting in the dentist's chair while pondering and reflecting the wonders of life. Now only if most patients, who are usually afraid of getting their teeth grilled, can do that. But on the serious side, it's never too late to feel good about ourselves and enjoy life and appreciate everything it gives. Even a dentist's visit is something to be thankful for. Cheers!

- Elizabeth Cull