Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Happy 17th Birthday, Cameron

Seventeen years ago at 8:55 a.m., I became a mom for the second time. Alex Cameron Kelly came into the world at a whopping 9 pounds. He was 21 3/4 inches long. He was my honey bun baby. When I was pregnant with Cam, at least three mornings a week I would have a honey bun for breakfast. I remember thinking when he was born he had a honey bun in each cheek. No honey bun I've ever had was as sweet as those cheeks though.
We brought him home to a loud, busy house. Ross made sure of that. But Cam wasn't like Ross.
He was a quiet baby, always observing things going on around him. Much like he does today. He walked early, but talked late. He had his own special language. He still does. Today, though, we call them Cameronisms and they are hilarious.
As a little boy, he was sorta shy and really was happiest when no one was paying him any attention at all. The less you noticed Cam, the happier he was. Everyone that is, except for me.
Despite warnings from my mom that I would ruin him, I held him and snuggled him all the time. I think I always knew in my heart that Cam would be my last baby, so I never hesitated to spoil him. That is a fact that still holds true today. I can hardly stand to tell him no. So I rarely do.
He's not a mama's boy, or anybody's boy, for that matter. But I think that Cam and I have a very, very special bond. He pretty much pulls my heartstrings at will.
I homeschooled him the year he was in the third grade. It was one of my favorite times. I was actually learning along with him and we had way more fun than school should be. We did our P.E. by running up and down the driveway. It was during this time that I remember Jeff's dad, Ed, telling me, with tears in his eyes, that that boy sure loved his mama. Not nearly as much as his mama loved him.
We had a big first birthday party for him at the park in Stockbridge. All of the pictures I have of him on that day have him looking like, what's the big deal? Why is everyone looking at me?
Here is my niece, Carie, with Cam on his first birthday. He got a huge rockie horse for his birthday that year and he rode that horse with a devilish grin that I can still see.
Oh, if I could just go back in time for one hour and see that grin and kiss those cheeks. As it is, here's my baby today.
Still with a devilish grin. He's very thoughtful, likes to give cards and can be quite polite -- when I'm not looking. I can't wait to see what great things he's going to accomplish. When he sets his mind on something, look out. He has a stubborn diligence that will take him wherever he chooses to go.
I just hope it's not too far from me.
Happy 17th birthday, Cam! I know you'll read this, even though you may never let me know that you did. I love you and cherish you with every beat of my heart.
Till tomorrow. LLL.

10 comments:

Barbo said...

Happy Birthday Cam hope its a great day for you. I Love You and Your whole family.

Theresa said...

Well, now grab the tissues! Seeing these little babies grow up right before my very eyes, just makes me tear up, sniff sniff! I was already have a baby pulling at my heart (check my blog) this morning not realizing it was Cam's birthday! Happy Birthdy Cam! He is a special young man and he LOVES his Mama! Raising children is the best thing in life... just wait 'til the grandkids come! You are going to love that too. He will not move away from you, I know that to be a fact:) Family is LOVE! Love you and enjoy your day!!!!!!

suzanne said...

You always do get me on the kids' birthday posts.
I will never forget that sweet little baby. I really think he was the most gorgeous newborn!
I can barely believe he's 17 today. I thought he'd never grow up, and darn it, it happened just overnight.
BTW, tomorrow better be a good one!
Hee-hee, just joking.
Toodles!

wendy said...

Hey Kelly, I am back ----yay.
don't you just love being a mom. No matter how old our kids get. they are still our babies and we love them. I love that photo of you and your hubby

Cindy Lou said...

Happy Birthday Cam!!! 17...where have all these years gone? I just can't believe it!! He was a beautiful baby and now a very handsome young man! Have a great day! Love you!

REGINA said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CAM!!!! WELL THAT WAS A SWEET POST. BOY HOW FAST THEY GROW UP. TOOO FAST FOR ME.I NEVER REALIZED HOW CLOSE THEIR BIRTHDAYS ARE.SOUNDS LIKE GLENDA'S KIDS. KRISTIE'S IS ON 8-4 AND KATIE'S IS ON 8-21.I FEEL THAT SAME WAY WITH CHRISTOPHER ABOUT THE HEART STRINGS AND THE LAST CHILD. I WILL ADMIT TO IT. I SPOIL HIM AS MUCH AS I CAN.IT IS JUST SO HARD FOR ME TO TELL THAT BABY NO. THAT'S MY FOOTBALL BABY! HOPE YALL HAVE A GOOD BIRTHDAY NIGHT AND HAVE A TERRIFIC THURSDAY.

REGINA said...

OH!!! FORGOT TO TELL. I LOVE THEM BUTTERFLIES ON YOUR PAGE.

Crystal said...

Yep, you gotta love those cheeks! Oh, and the way he would run and swing his little arm....remember go Josus, go Josus! He's a sweetheart and again you and Jeff are so blessed to have such good boys. Dang, where has the time gone? He will be graduating next year!! Hardly seems right.

Emma said...

What a cute baby pic. time goes to fast. thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to Cam!!Such a nice polite young man, You have lots to be proud of Mom!!!!