Monday, February 23, 2009

Food, Four-Wheelers & Fun


That's what we had this weekend. And tons of it. We started the weekend with supper at Holcomb's Bar-B-Q. It was a neat little Bar-B-Q place in White Plains, Georgia. It had the best Brunswick stew. It really compared to my dad's, my uncle's or my PaPa Howell's. It was really good. The neat thing about this place, though, was the relaxed atmosphere. Check this out, y'all.

The floor was sawdust. Eli was so funny. He said what's up with the bedding? He thought it was like the stuff you use in hamster cages.

After we left the Bar-B-Q place, we headed for the Deer Land. We got there and got everything unloaded and situated. We all brought a lot of food and a whole lot of snacks. Suz brought this really big bag of candy. It was like a mixed bag of goodies from her kids' goodie bags from Valentine's Day, plus lots of other things she had picked up here and there. It had a lot of unique things in it. Not just your average Snickers, Reeses, etc., like mine did.

So the kids sat down at the table and were playing Uno and just talking and having a good time experiencing the delicacies from the candy bag that Suz brought. We knew they were eating a good bit of candy, but heck, it was the Deer Land, and what was the harm in a little extra candy. In our family, Reid is the original Candy Kid. That's what we call him. He'll eat anything sweet. Every tooth in his head is sweet. He'll even eat DARK CHOCOLATE. What kid eats that?
As I mentioned in Friday's post, every year we've ever been we've had a bit of bad luck of some sort of another. At about 4 o'clock a.m. Saturday morning, we assumed the bad luck of 2009 was going to be a stomach virus that would surely strike all 16 of us. The original Candy Kid woke everyone in the cabin up throwing up. As it turned out, though, he had merely OD'd on candy. And happily, I report to you, that was the worst of the luck that we had this year!

Saturday we got up pretty early. The kids were excited to start the day, and they rode four-wheelers from sunup to sundown.

Alayna and her friend, Jennifer, even though they look more like they're ready to hit the slopes in Aspen, rode the four-wheelers with the boys and got down and dirty with them, too!

Jason took the adults on a ride, too. We went back into the swamp. It was really beautiful back in there. It was rough riding through all the muddy water and brush, but it was so much fun. I'm a bit of a daredevil, so I enjoyed it so much.
We got off the four-wheelers for a little while and stopped to check out the Ogeechee River. Which, coincidentally, used to be one of PaPa Kimball's favorite fishing holes. On further south down the river though.













We had our annual campfire and roasted hot dogs and marshmallows. Told fun stories about our favorite Christmas gifts we had ever gotten in our whole lives. We heard coyotes in the woods, then when Ross started to call back to them with his coyote call, they stopped. I guess it's a good thing because I'm not sure what we'd have done if they would have come up for a visit. Maybe we could have offered them a hot dog or a marshmallow.
Sunday was basically a repeat of Saturday. We left about 4 o'clock and got home about 6. It's hard to believe that in just two short hours you can get so far away from civilization and be basically in the middle of nowhere and in a Georgia swamp. Good times, folks. Good times.

I've got to be in Cartersville today at 11. I'm staying overnight because I've got to work in Dalton tomorrow. I've never really done that before, that is stay by myself. I'll watch the Bachelor tonight and take my book and just relax from the weekend. I wish I had more time to write, but I've got to get going or I'll be late. It's no fun trying to set up my equipment with all eyes on you.

Y'all have a good day. It is Monday you know.

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Oh where, oh where, has my KellyKelly gone, oh where, oh where, can she be?

She breezes into town and leaves ONE blog... just isn't quite enough for me:)

Your fans have missed you and it hasn't been the same, even if we read blogs of a different name.

You can't be gone another night, oh what, oh what will we do? We'll cry and wait for you to return and hey "we WILL SURELY miss you"!

Love you and be careful!

suzanne said...

I think this was our best attempt at "roughing it" yet!
And I told you I wasn't going to fight with my husband....YAY! It was easier than I hoped.
It's hard to get back to work. I guess that's why I'm sitting on my rump playing with pictures on the computer. Eli still has his jammies on!
Love ya!

suzanne said...

What a cute little poem, Theresa,
you are the best :0)

REGINA said...

GLAD YOU HAD FUN AND NOTHING BAD HAPPENED. OH!! EXCEPT THE OD ON CANDY.YOU LEFT US A BLOGG AND GONE AGAIN.WELL,WE WILL BE WAITING ON YOU TO GET BACK.AT LEAST WE MIGHT NOT HAVE TO WAIT AS LONG THIS TIME. BE CAREFUL AND DON'T WORK TO HARD.