Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Just Tuesday

Yesterday we celebrated the birthday of my sweet Aunt Brenda. I don't remember how old she said she was going to be on Wednesday, but to me she'll always be my Aunt "Benda". It's kind of a funny thing that as I get older, my aunts and uncles and even my parents just seem to stay the same age as they were when I was a little girl. They just don't seem to age in my mind. It's really weird. She and I are quite alike. We both love the beach, the sun, she even used to drag race her hubby's car at one point, so I've heard. That's sort of a little secret dream of mine. Ross is restoring a '73 Nova and I'd love to race it one day. She's a good Christian woman and I'm glad she's my aunt and I'm glad she's my friend.

There were probably about 15 of us at the Chinese restaurant we usually go to for the aunts' birthday lunches. The owners usually put us in our own little part of the restaurant with a big dining table. I think they seclude us from the rest of the people because sometimes it can get a little loud with laughter coming from either children or adults. Yesterday, it seemed to be mostly the kids. Alex, Theresa's granddaughter, was feeling much better and was in a playful mood, which was good to see. Eli ate mostly rice. But when you're at a Chinese restaurant, that's not a bad choice.
It was kind of a subdued adult crowd. My great-aunt Mattie Lou has just found out that her daughter, Marie, has liver cancer. Of course, we all know the Great Physician has his own doctor book, but the books we have access to don't give a very good prognosis for that kind of cancer. I'm sure she's getting good doctor care and we'll just pray for her and sweet Mattie Lou and hope for the best. We all left with full bellys and smiles on our faces!

I had a 9 o'clock depo this morning, so my workday is done. I may get some proofing done later on. Maybe. Maybe not. Since Jeff's working from home, we're going out to price pool liners. Might even slip a nap in later on. Didn't go to sleep last night until after 2 o'clock. I don't know about you, but that's way past my bedtime. I require much more beauty rest than that.

After Mike died, we had so many friends and family bring food to Ed & Jean's. This was a chicken chili that Carol brought. The ingredients might make you say hmmm, I'm not so sure about this, but trust me. It's really, really good. I think that we just might have this for supper tonight with some good ol' cornbread.

CAROL KELLY'S TWO BEAN CHICKEN CHILI
1 medium zucchini, coarsely chopped
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can tomato sauce
1 clove garlic, pressed
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 cans chicken broth
1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 jar thick and chunky mild salsa
3 cups shredded cooked chicken (I'll probably buy a rotisserie one)
1 1/2 or 2 tablesppons chili powder
Optional toppings: shredded lettuce, sour cream, crushed tortilla chips, sliced green onions, fresh cilantro leaves.

Chop zucchini. Drain and rinse beans in colander. Drain corn. Combine chicken broth, salsa and tomato sauce in 4 qt pot. Add zucchini, beans, corn, chicken, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes. Top with desired toppings.
Sounds yummy, doesn't it? Hope y'all have a Happy Tuesday. What did you think about the Bachelor last night? Go Melissa!

6 comments:

Barbo said...

I am so hooked on the bachelor, please oh please let it be Melissa. I do believe i will cry if she does not get that hunk. love you

suzanne said...

Oh, Barbara!!!
I really loved Jillian! I just don't see how I read it so wrong. I could've sworn he was going to pick her. Yes, hunky indeed he is!!!!!!!!
Love you Bunch!

Theresa said...

Well, I don't watch the Bachelor but I will have to check out the hunk:)

I really enjoyed Brenda Faye's birthday lunch. She will be 59 tomorrow. I agree with you, Kelly, your Aunties are not getting any older and neither are the nieces! I LOVE chinese buffet. It is just not a hassle and we get to be off to our noisy selves. I felt like that shiny fat dude all the way to bedtime.

Alex is really back to her old self, but both Avery and Autumn are at the doctor right now running fevers. Most likely got strep throat from Alex. Can you say Prayers?

Two bean chili sounds DElicious.

Hope the "monkeymones" are better today! Hang in there...

Love you all!

Barbo said...

Girls our bachelor hunk is on ellen tomorrow in ellen drawers and he brings ellen jason briefs ::::::::he is so hunky to this old woman love yall

Theresa said...

Update. Autumn has strep throat, Avery does not! Alex told me she never had strep throat. She said her throat was never sore:)

I bet that bachelor fella is my gyno:)

REGINA said...

I ENJOYED THE LUNCH TO. MOST OF ALL I ENJOYED THE FELLOWSHIP.THERESA YOU WILL BE ONE LUCKY LADY IF YOUR GYNO IS HIM. I WILL KEEP TRACY'S WHOLE FAMILY IN MY PRAYERS.THAT SICK BUG NEEDS TO LEAVE THEIR HOUSE. I THINK HE'S DONE WORE OUT HIS WELCOME.