Sunday, February 1, 2009

Family, Football and Food

So today's the big Super Bowl, huh. BFatD. I love football. In fact, it is by far my favorite sport. It's a good thing because from June until late November, we eat, sleep and breathe it, which is completely fine by me. Jeff even coaches a youth team in the spring. We don't have a kid on the team either. To some that may seem odd, but he loves coaching football like other men love to play softball or play some other sport. The NFL just doesn't do it for me. I don't really know why. I guess because living in Atlanta, the Falcons aren't a consistently good team. And although winning isn't everything (yeah, right), it does make it much more fun to watch. I admit that I am pretty sad though because after today, with the mere exception of the NFL Pro Bowl, that football is going to be over for several months. That makes me kinda sad. The youth that Jeff coaches is more instructional than competitive, so it's just not that exciting to watch. So as a tribute to the end of the 2008-2009 Football Season, I'll be watching the Super Bowl. Since it's Sunday and my family gets together on Sundays for supper, and it's my turn to cook, we're eating here tonight. I bought 100 chicken wings in mild, teriyaki and lemon pepper. I'm also making these little ham and swiss things and a Butterfinger Cake, which sounds D-I-V-I-N-E. And also rich enough and fattening enough to make my figure 20 times fuller than the picture of Jessica Simpson from yesterday's post. Suz and Crystal are also bringing different things, so we should have a lot of fun. Family, football and food, how can you possibly go wrong?



Here is the recipe for the Butterfinger Cake. I borrowed it from Kelly over at Kelly's Korner. You can follow her blog from mine over at the left-hand side. She's the cute new mommy of Baby Harper.



This cake was super easy to make. I mean, really, really easy.



BUTTERFINGER CAKE FROM KELLY'S KORNER



Yellow cake mix

1 can sweetened condensed milk

1 jar caramel topping

3-4 Butterfinger candy bars

Cool Whip



Bake the cake mix according to the package. While the cake is hot, poke holes all over it. Mix together the sweetened condensed milk and caramel topping and pour over cake. Crush up the Butterfingers and spread on top. Allow to cool and refrigerate. Once completely cool, top with Cool Whip.



How yummy does that sound? Doesn't look too bad, either. This is without the Cool Whip.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How YUMMY the cake was!!!! Yes, I know what you mean about football being over, it's very sad! I always hate when it's over, but before you know it it will be here again!! Thanks for dinner, it was great.

suzanne said...

We surely all had a blast at your house, as usual!
The food was deeeleesshh and the company was even better.
My kids were ooc towards the end (OUT OF CONTROL).
Y'all can handle it once a week.
Missed Joseph and Ethan though :(
love ya to pieces :0)

Theresa said...

Sorry I missed that cake and of course the fellowship! I will have to try that recipe. I think it is so special that you Howells get together once a week.

I hate when all there is on TV in the way of sports is Basketball, not really a sport I love unless of course it is Austin playing. Braves Baseball is right around the corner and Autumn has her first tournament on the 14th. Yippeedeedooodledaadeedledeedoo!

Happy Monday and have a great day:) Love you all!