Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Home Sweet Home

After driving nearly three hours through the horrible traffic that we live with here in Atlanta, I made it back to my home sweet home. My nerves were so bad while I was driving and I didn't want to start biting my nails, so I chewed up a WHOLE pack of gum. Can you believe that? That's messed up. Oh, well, my nails are still intact. And I can always buy more gum.


We went and grabbed a quick supper at Zaxby's. They have good chicken fingers. I had another salad. That was salad number 2 for me yesterday. I'm trying to eat better since I don't seem to be getting into the exercise program I spent so much money buying all the stuff for. Maybe one day I'll get started. Maybe. One. Day. Talking about it and thinking about it should be good enough, but it just isn't getting the job done.


I slept so good last night. I even woke myself up one time giggling. Now, that's some good sleep. The only complaint I have today is a big fat migraine caused from a muscle ache in my neck that I got trying to sleep in the hotel. I was trying to cover my ears with the pillows to keep from hearing all the traffic that was driving through my room. I guess I got myself in a funky position or something. Now I have the first migraine I've had in several weeks.


Do y'all ever get in a rut when trying to think of things to fix for supper/dinner? I stay in one. I think that's why we eat cereal or sandwiches or go out so much. I just can't think of anything to fix that pleases everyone. What's your favorite thing to fix? And do you have a cookbook that you just absolutely can't live without? I have about 30 cookbooks. Other than my Paula Deen cookbooks, none of them really tickle my fancy that much. I don't like pork chops. Jeff doesn't like meat loaf or salmon croquettes. Cam doesn't like chicken pot pies. Ross isn't crazy about casseroles. Man, it's hard to find anything to fix that the four of us like. Have you ever had Bourbon Chicken at some of the good Chinese restaurants around town? Well, I got online this morning and found a recipe that I think I'm going to try and make tonight. All of us like Bourbon Chicken, if it's made with white meat only. I'm going to double it, if not triple it. My big boys will eat leftovers and Jeff will too. I, myself, will not touch them (yet another way I'm like my dad.) Here's the recipe in case y'all would like to try it. It sounds really good and easy too. Let me know if you try it and how you like it. Plus, they make some pretty good frozen meatless egg rolls that I think would go good with this meal. I'm definitely gonna make a Publix run and go for this one.


BOURBON CHICKEN


2 pounds boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1/4 teaspoon ginger
3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 cup apple juice
1/3 cup light brown sugar
2 tablespoons ketchup
1 tablespoon cider vinegar
1/2 cup water
1/3 cup soy sauce


Heat oil in large skillet. Add chicken pieces and cook until lightly browned. Remove chicken. Add remaining ingredients, heating over medium heat until well mixed and dissolved. Add chicken and bring to a hard boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over hot rice and ENJOY.


I've decided not to replace my "What Lady" with a real "Cleaning Lady". After looking around my house this morning while my head was pounding with each beat of my pulse, I seriously wondered why I made that decision. Here's my To Do List for Today. Tell me what y'all think.


1. Proof and print 8 jobs. That should take about 10 hours.
2. Go to Publix and get all the fixins for supper and cleaning supplies to clean the house.
3. Clean the house from top to bottom.
4. Cook the above-mentioned dinner recipe, which will include cutting into bite-size pieces 6 pounds of chicken breasts.
5. Give myself a manicure before I bite my nails off OR pick up another pack of gum at Publix to chew.
6. Continue to search for the best deal on a condo in Panama City Beach to take Cam for Spring Break.


I must do all of the items on this list today with a migraine headache. Do you think it's possible?


Also, please be in prayer for a very dear family from my church that has lost one of their family members. It's a tragic loss made even worse by the fact that the sweet wife of the sweet man who passed away has had brain surgery in the past week. They truly need lots of prayer. They've been members of my church for as long as I can remember. And she (the wife), when asked to pray, can say the sweetest prayer you've ever heard.

Somehow, we must make this a Happy Humpday my friends!

2 comments:

Joyce said...

I'm trying the dinner tonight too.... will let you know how it is! Luckily I have all the ingredients. I'll be praying for your friend and headache... and that you quit piling so much into your schedule. Wish I could help you... I have nothing to do all day.

Theresa said...

Let's see... We love casseroles, can't imagine if I couldn't fill my week's meals with at least two. We love pork chops and meat loaf, so I am a big fat zero help. Last night we had chili cornbread pie, which we love and cabbage. I use vegetarian chili, a can of mexican corn, cheese, onion and a cornbread mix (I use cotten picken cornbread mix but any will do). Spray casserole dish with pam, mix chili, corn and sauteed onion and put in dish. put cheese on top of that and mix cornbread like package says and put on top of cheese. Bake at 450 for 18-25 mins until cornbread is brown. Not that you guys would like that but some of your followers might. I remember Jeff doesn't like beans in his chili:) Tonight we are having a casserole that I found in a magazine using lean ground beef, pizza dough, salsa etc. Will let you know if it is fitin' to eat and will share the recipe.

I buy country fried steaks that I keep in the freezer. I buy them at Kroger. We LOVE them!!!!! They are called "Fast Classics" and come with gravy mix in the bag. (RED bag) I never make the gravy mix but the steaks are sooooo good and easy. Throw those babies on a cookie sheet and bake them. Add some vegetables and perhaps rolls or biscuits and it is one of our favorites.

I have been working in my closet today and doing laundry:( Not a fan of staying home but occasionally I must...

I am so sorry about Alvin and Leola. Alvin has really been sick and he has now gone on to a better place. Cindy says that Leola has gone today to get a wig and to make the arrangements. Her hair was half gone and now needs to cover her head with something. She is doing surprisingly well since she just had the brain surgery on Sunday. They are surely precious people, all of them.

Anyway, I hope your headache gets better. Love you mucho! T