Tuesday, February 3, 2009

It's All In the Eye of the Beholder

Cam's a member of the FFA and really wants to go to an agricultural college. He did a great SAE project last semester and was one of the two chosen to take his project to the next level. Well, the problem is that after he turned all the written info and the pictures and stuff in last semester and got his perfect 100 grade, he brought the notebook home and now he can't find it. Big, big problem.

I had Cam clean his room yesterday afternoon thinking that it must surely be in there as that would, of course, be the most logical place. I heard him banging things around in there for about 45 minutes. I thought, wow, he must be doing a great job cleaning his room while he's looking for the notebook, because cleaning his room was part of what he was supposed to be doing.

Well, Jeff goes in the boys' rooms. I don't. It's just one of those things that my OCD cannot take. I mean, I freak out. Totally, completely 100 percent go off the deep end, mama's losing it freak out! Therefore, I didn't go in his room last night to check on the job he supposedly did cleaning his room up.

Work's been so crazy for Jeff the past few days. He's been working way more hours than he normally does. But when he did finally get home last night, I asked him to please look a little for that project because it's really important that we find it. He looked in a couple of places, but I don't think he really looked in Cam's room, but if he did, he didn't pay it much attention. (Big surprise there, right!) Of course, Cam says he gave it to me to keep. I found his project from last year, his Veteran's Day project from this year and a few other things, but not the one project we need. Obviously, he didn't give it to me or it would be with all the others. I save things my kids make, even if they are 20 and 16. I looked everywhere I could think of and I've not been able to find it. Jeff's looked. Cam's looked.

Well, today, I broke down and entered Cam's room. I thought hmmm, it couldn't be too bad. I mean, he did clean it yesterday for about 45 minutes. And I did hear him in there moving stuff around and everything. And after all, Jeff did go in there last night. I'm safe, I'll be fine. At least that's what I thought. I couldn't have been more wrong if I expected to wake up this morning with Jessica Simpson's full figure body. It looked like it had been ransacked! Why, oh, why can't the child put trash in the trash can? I just don't get it. And what is up with him and the bananas? Today I found one that was all uneaten and brown! I swear, it's a miracle we don't have creatures roaming every nook and cranny in our house.

I spent well over three hours cleaning that room. I tore everything out from top to bottom. Dusted everything. When he got home from school, I said to him, I thought I told you to clean your room yesterday. His reply, I did clean my room yesterday. OMGosh, is it ever in the eye of the beholder.

And . . we still didn't find the project.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can soooooooo relate to the messy rooms of boys. My boys wouldn't even know where to begin to clean their rooms. In our new house Joseph has TWO closets and six drawers in his dresser, but where are all his clothes? You guessed it, in the floor! I swear I don't know how he can even tell what's clean and what's not. I may not have OCD, but that drives me nuts!! Ethan on the other hand, he swears up and down that the mess in his room was not caused by him. "It was clean when i left it, I don't know what happened", that's what he ALWAYS says! Go figure.

Theresa said...

Well... Girls, they eventually DO grow up. They will have their own children AND, then they will be saying, "Clean your Room, No it is not clean, get that banana from under your bed". Somehow they will not remember their own rooms and how cluttered they were! Then you ladies will be cleaning up after your Grandchildren to keep them out of trouble, Oops... how would I know that? :) Love you all!