Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Harriet Craig, Suz and Me

If any of you have someone in your life who knows you better than you know yourself, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about in today's post. If you don't, then I'll try to explain what it's like.

First of all, I have two sisters. Crystal is three years younger than me. Suzanne (or Suz as I affectionately call her) is eight years younger than me. I don't have any brothers. Let it be known to all that I love my sisters with all my heart and I love them equally. It's so cliche to say that I would do anything for either of them, but I truly would and they know that.

Anyway, the relationship that I have with Suz is and has always been different than the one I have with Crystal. I was old enough when she was born to be a helper to my mom, which I remember being. I remember giving her her bottle in the car when my mom was driving. Taking her outside to swing on our swingset and making up little songs to sing to her while I would hold her in the swing. And I remember carrying her and dropping her right on her head on our unfinished dining room floor! It had no carpet or anything. I remember the anguish I felt until we were completely sure she was all right.

When she became a teenager, NOBODY, and I do mean NOBODY, boy, girl, man or beast had better mess with her. If they dared, they had to deal with the rath of Kelly. And believe you me, it was a rath to be dealt with. She and I could write some pretty good stories about paybacks we gave girls when they'd be ugly to her, which did happen on occasion. She was a popular girl in high school, dated the quarterback, was a cheerleader, on the homecoming court. Yeah, you know the kind. She had lots of friends, but there would be the occasional *-%-#-c-h that didn't like her.

Then she grew up and got married to a guy who lived an hour (or actually, 50 minutes door to door) from Stockbridge, where we live. She lived here for a while. Had two of her three kids and I was able to see her and those precious babies every single day, which I did. Then she moved 50 minutes door to door away. Had another baby. Now I only get to see her and the kids I still adore and the husband, which I also adore, once or twice a week.

But... I talk to her on the phone at least 40 times a day. Sometimes more. If you looked at my caller ID, it would show her phone number at least 20 times. Then if you add the times I call her, which is at least that many, it's probably about 40 on any given day. That's not counting the cell phone calls. Heck, we probably talk on the phone about 50 times a day.

Suffice it to say that we know each other very, very well. I can tell the second I hear her utter the first syllable of the first word she speaks what kind of mood she's in. As she can with me. She gives me advice. Some I take. Most I should take. The rest, well ... She's smarter than me in some ways. I'm smarter than her in some. She's a court reporter too, so we help each other with work junk, which is great. My obsessive behavior fascinates her and drives her nuts at the same time. If there was one thing she could change about me, it would definitely be that. I think she'd change it for my sake, though, more than for those around me.

Anyway, to put this long post in a nutshell. This morning, I woke up at 7:30. I decided to do what my dad does and "ease into my day." This means sit around for a while and drink coffee, stretch, yawn and just do nothing for a little bit. So I turned on the TV. Now, I am a Waltons TV show fan. I usually watch that if I turn on the TV in the morning. (I told y'all I like corny family TV shows.) Well, the Hallmark channel has changed their lineup and I Love Lucy, which I also love, is on from 8 to 9 a.m. I wasn't in the mood for that today. Or perhaps it wasn't my destiny today. So I'm flipping channels. I never, and I mean never flip high up in the channels. I rarely go past the 70s. And never in the 100s. Well, today I did. I got to Turner Classic Movies. There was this movie on called Craig's Wife. I looked at the guide and it was about this controlling, obsessive, woman, Harriet Craig, who ran her husband, her family, her friends, her servants, everyone in her life off. It was made in 1936 and it was a great old movie. I watched the whole thing.

So as I do every morning, I called Suz. I say what are you doing. She says just watching Turner Classic Movies. Before I could say a word, she said, I think you're Harriet Craig. I nearly fainted. I told her I had just finished watching the very same movie. Then we both nearly fainted because neither of us ever, ever watch that channel. Ever. Ever. How cool is that? Conicidence? Destiny? Fate? Or just something really funny? Well, then, of course since I knew who Harriet Craig was and what a hag she was, she said I really didn't remind her of her. But remember, I know her just as well as she knows me...

Shall I change the name of my blog to a Girl Named Harriet Craig?

Happy Humpday!

4 comments:

suzanne said...

That was truly one of the strangest coincidences EVER, even for us!
Now, exactly HOW are you smarter than me?
LYLAS and more :0)

Theresa said...

Well, Kelly or Harriet Craig, I have someone that close to me too! My Daughter! So... I know exactly what you mean. I can't imagine functioning without her. We don't talk as much as you guys during the day, but we can burn up some text messaging:) Not many people are so fortunate to have such a friend who just so happens to be a member of your family. Can't wait to find the movie and watch it! I had to wear my sunglasses on the way home from the mall and thankfull for it!!!

Kindyland said...

Sisters are cool like that. My sister and I once bought the same exact bathing suit, the same summer, at the same store, a day apart. We also sound exactly alike on the phone. My dad once talked to me for 30 minutes and then finally asked how Brooke was (my niece). He thought he was talking to my sister the entire time.

Joyce said...

I wish I had that closeness with my sisters and mostly my kids. We sound close on the blog....but only talk about once a week. I feel like I'm a bother if I call more....and I am almost always the one initiating the calls. Wonder how long it would go if I didn't call? I'm so envious of your relationships with your family!!! ps Now I have to find the movie, too!