Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Tears and Laughter




Tears and Laughter, yes, indeed. There was a lot of both this day. We buried Jeff's brother, Mike today. Tears and laughter, I believe, are good for the soul. I'm reminded of the verse in the Bible that has brought comfort to me during dark times in my life. A merry heart doeth good like a medicine: but a broken spirit drieth the bones. Proverbs 17:22.

After the services, the family went back to Ed and Jean's house and enjoyed the best food in the world. We had a spread of roast beef, a couple of different chicken dishes, at least 10 pounds of potato salad, honey baked ham and turkey, yeast rolls, several different salads and the most delicious desserts imaginable. The most delicious one, of course, was the one that my mom made, which was a red velvet cake. It was deeeeelicious! We all ate to our heart's content. (Note to self: If at all possible, don't send potato salad to post-funeral dinner. While it's delicious and takes a lot of effort to make, at least 15 other people had the same idea.) And there just isn't that much to do with potato salad after dinner is over. I mean, you can't have a potato salad sandwich or anything. You hate to throw it away because it tasted good and you knew someone went through a lot of trouble cutting up all those potatoes. This is a note to self, unless self is my Aunt Brenda, who makes the BEST POTATO SALAD EVER!! I very possibly could eat a potato salad sandwich out of hers. I was happy that Suz stayed after the services and spent the afternoon with the Kelly Family. It was so nice to have her visit with my other family. After we ate, we sat around and looked at pictures and told silly stories about strange people Nan, Ronnie, Jeff and I have met lately. Then we went back to the cemetery to get the flowers that were houseplants and were left at the chapel. Nan, Jean and I got ourselves a few flowers from the graveside. I made myself a very nice bouquet. It's going to be quite cold here tonight, so Jean said they'd likely die if left in the cold. So I made me a big ol' bouquet and put them in a beautiful vase and they look so nice. I do love fresh flowers!

My hubby and my boys looked so handsome I could hardly stand it. I thought I would burst with pride! Them camouflage-wearing, big-truck driving, deer hunting, country boy sons of mine clean up dang nice, if I do say so myself! And my sugar, well, what can I say. Back in the day, if he would have had to wear a suit every day, we'd probably have us a house full of kids. I would have jumped his bones as soon as he walked in the door! I mean, really, y'all is there anything more handsome than a man in a suit? I think not.




I think we gave Mike a very beautiful send off. May he finally have the much deserved rest he deserves. Battle over. You won! REST IN PEACE. WE LOVE YOU AND WE'LL SEE YOU IN ETERNITY!

3 comments:

Theresa said...

It was a beautiful funeral and I know that Mike would be pleased! He would be proud that his son and grandson were here and that there were so many friends and relatives who came to say their final goodbyes. May he rest in peace!

Ross and Cameron really looked handsome and I TOLD them you would take their picture:)

Love you all!

suzanne said...

It really was a very touching service! I hope that Mike can finally rest in peace.
Pray for Papa to leave peacefully as well.
I lurveee some funeral grub, too.
Love you very, very much!! :0)

Anonymous said...

YALL ALL LOOK NICE. AND YES YOUR COUNTRY BOYS DO LOOK NICE ALL DRESSED UP.THEY'RE PROBABLY GLAD THAT THEY DON'T HAVE TO DRESS LIKE THAT EVERYDAY. I SURE ENJOY YOUR BLOG.(NOT SURE IF THAT IS WHAT IT'S CALLED).HAVE A GOOD DAY! LOVE REGINA